Artist Spotlight

Billy Sheehan - Bass Solo Budokan Feb 2009

Monday, March 9, 2009

Chris Squire: Fish Out of Water (1975)

Chris Squire is a founding member of the progressive rock band Yes and one of my favorite bassists. This album was recorded during a break from Yes and released in 1975. Chris not only played bass on the album but also performed all the guitar work and vocals. All the songs were written by Chris and he also served as producer. This recording has often been referred to as the missing Yes album by fans of the group. Partially because of the assistance from Yes's drummer Bill Bruford and keyboardist Patrick Moraz who appear in the line-up. Fish Out Of Water charted at number 69 on Billboard's Pop Albums for 1976.

If you are a fan of Yes or Progressive music and this album isn't in your collection you're missing out on a classic recording. In my opinion this is the best of the early solo projects by the members of Yes.

Track Listing
Side One
  1. Hold Out Your Hand - 4:13
  2. You By My Side - 5:00
  3. Silently Falling - 11:27
Side Two
  1. Lucky Seven - 6:54
  2. Safe - 14:56
Personnel
Chris Squire - Bass, Vocals, 12 String Guitar
Bill Bruford - Drums, Percussion
Patrick Moraz - Synthesizer, Organ, Keyboards
Barry Rose - Pipe Organ
Andrew Jackman - Piano, Conductor, Orchestration
Adrian Bett - Woodwind Leader
Jim Buck - Horn
Mel Collins - Saxophone
Julian Gaillard - Strings
Jimmy Hastings - Flute
David Snell Harp Leader
John Wilbraham - Brass Leader

2 comments:

  1. Cool blog Skip. I have added to my "must read' list. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. I'm still pretty green at this and I do need to brush up on my writing skills so bear with me.

    ReplyDelete