Artist Spotlight

Billy Sheehan - Bass Solo Budokan Feb 2009

Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Guitars

I thought this would be a good time to show my collection of guitars one at a time starting with my very first guitar.

First Bass Make Unknown

This is a recent picture of my very first guitar. Yes, I still have it. My parents give me this guitar as a Christmas gift when I was 13. It was a very inexpensive Japanese made bass but I didn't care it was a real bass and I was the only person in Junior High School who had one. All of my friends were either six string guitar players or drummers so my budding bass skills (lol) were very much in demand.

This bass was not an easy instrument to learn on. To this day I can't believe how a small handed 13 year old was able to finger this thing. The neck feels like wrapping your hands around a piece of 2 x 4 lumber. I do remember the guitar got a bit easier to play after a friend suggested and showed me how to lowering the string action. I had no idea how to setup a guitar, remember I was 13 and this was the first guitar I ever held in my hands let alone try to play.

The plastic name tag fell off the head stock years ago, so I don't remember the make. The only thing I do know about this bass is that "Made In Japan" is stamped on the neck plate.

This instrument will be one that I will always keep. Not because it's a good guitar but the memories linked to it are great ones.

If anyone does recognize this guitar please let me know.

By the way, the first song I learned to play on this bass was Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love".

No comments:

Post a Comment