Artist Spotlight

Billy Sheehan - Bass Solo Budokan Feb 2009

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another Addition To The Fold

I bought an Asian made 5 string bass couple of weeks ago.The name on the headstock is Lawson. This was the first time I had seen the name Lawson before and I was a bit hesitant about buying it but the price was right. I've played a lot of not too familiar Asian made guitars over the years and I have to say this one rates with the best I've played. The guitar is very well made and has good quality electronics although the pickups are slightly noisy. Out of the box the set up was a bit off but a little bridge adjustment got things to my liking. All in all this guitar is a joy to play.





4 comments:

  1. What's the advantage of the fifth string Skip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A five string bass is usually tuned B-E-A-D-G, which provides extended lower range. Five string basses tuned to B-E-A-D-G (and sometimes A-D-G-C-F) are often used in contemporary rock and metal. Another common tuning used on five-string basses is E-A-D-G-C. This is a popular tuning for jazz and solo bass. The fifth string provides a greater lower range (if a low B is used) or a greater upper range (if a high C string is added) than the 4-string bass. The additional string also gives the player access to more notes for any given hand position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks gorgeous! I like the idea of having an extra higher string as opposed to the thick 'B'.

    ReplyDelete